Thursday, August 18, 2011

Week Three - Blogger Response 2

Week 3 Wimba Archive


Until watching the Wimba session, I was sailing along pleasantly basking in the warm waters of Rule No. 6, even giggling every now and then at the preposterous entirely "invented" assumptions being thrown at us at this teaching conference. Then knock, knock..."Hello?" "Landshark" the voice answered mockingly then, revealed his true identity, "It's your calculating self." The panic that set in as I talked myself through all the negative scenarios surrounding the very idea that I need to submit a presentation proposal to a conference by next week. What? Here I thought I was doing so well; doing everything ahead of time so as to enjoy some semblance of a vacation NYC at the end of this conference. Please don't see this as blamescaping, it is all me, often ill-prepared. I sometimes feel as if the bat mobile is driving in front of me. I wonder what button Batman has his finger hovering over next? Will it be the oil-slick? "Oh, hi, calculating self, my old friend. Sit down."
Besides the mercurial change of my inner calm, this session did also yield some practical information that will carry me through the process of rebuilding my confidence as I approach the task of publishing. I suppose you will read more about this in my two "Think Out Loud" posts to follow.
I did not know about publishing specifics. I had no idea that publishers can turn you away if you've submitted to other publishers. I guess it makes sense that they would want the one-and-only go or "first publishing rights" and so we should only submit to one Journal at a time.
I will have to go to some websites and look for applications for presenters and then see what they wish for me to submit be it 100 words some slides or what have you.
The most immediate and pressing task at hand is to create a first draft. What will my presentation look like? I will need to prepare 5 slides with about 1500 words (300 words per slide) though it was mentioned that we could make a presentation of 24 slides (15 words per slide). I would rather not prepare a "death by powerpoint."

As for the delivery of this work, it was suggested that it would be better to put our words in google docs and share the URL with our peers. This is important as some publishers view work on websites as being "published."

I'm trying to remember to focus on the possibilities rather than focusing on the limitations of "publishing" my presentation.

I'm still unclear as to how we PROVE that we've submitted an idea for presentation at a conference. Please answer that in your comments to me.

I did enjoy the fact that Dr. Joe did voice his annoyance the chapter on "giving an A." I hope that I'm not making an assumption here, but I too felt this chapter was giving us conflicting information. I like the advice but the example of having the kids write why they deserved an A is not the same thing that the "practice" is telling us.
I have recently received a note from my mentor Joe Huber, who said that since reading the Zander book, he has started to give all of his kids an A and that none of the work has suffered as a result. I think of the act of giving an A as more of a metaphor for making the assumption that we are all equal and in this together than a physical grade. Luckily as I teach little kids, the "A" grade does not enter into our dialogue.



1 comments:

Babs said...

Ok, I had to comment at least to say what a cool picture is heading your post!

That said, I too had a mini melt-down with help from Ms. Calc at the Wimba this week. I was in a similar lulled calm, and the out of it was a resounding, "Oh no, I'm not going to be published!!! No, not me...Do I HAVE to?" I am very glad to hear that someone else has similar experiences with the planet Mercury.

I was taken back by the clarity of Ms. Calc's statements, so certain they were, and heart felt. But then I realized the head of a familiar old defense rearing and invited him in for a chat. We ended up laughing at what a fool I had made of myself this time and that, and how many good stories I have to tell. Whew! He left and went back to his cabin in the mountain, reassured that I would be fine.
So, rule no. 6 is in order and being where I am are in charge. I can only do today what I can do, and I will do the same tomorrow. Everyday I will the presentation work will get closer to the top of the list and it will soon be the priority.
Mind you, this scenario revs up pretty quickly, but, can't take that too seriously! Like Scarlet O'Hara says, "Tomorrow is a bother day."

No comments:

Post a Comment