Thursday, August 11, 2011

Free Choice - The dead are rising - huh?


Huh? Right.
I'm visiting with my sister and her son Matt who is 11. He has been sharing with me the joy of creating combo weapons to destroy zombies in a number of settings in the XBox game DeadRising2.
I have to admit, I rather like seeing the already dead explode, split in half, or be mercilessly ground into bits of rotten flesh in a shopping mall setting by the good guy.


Seriously, I would have been totally appalled by this game and Matt's eager playing before I took the game course at Full Sail. Now I am in it with him, asking him questions about leveling up and what is going on, while appreciating his dexterity, and the unbelievable memory he has of the setting and the creativity to combine weapons and how to use them. I find that part the best and so does Matt. Combining a double Kayak paddle with chain saws with duck tape and running after marauding zombies makes me giggle. Then he runs into a utility closet to make another combo, a Halloween mask with a car battery attached to stick on the head of a zombie to electrocute him. I giggle again as I watch that zombie dance around like Shrek on crack.


When my brother came to visit a few months ago, (we all live in separates states) big uncle had to convey his grown up wisdom and disdain about Matt's video gamming. When I arrived, I heard Matt give me a run down on the hours and limits of his playing. He was guilty about his love and engagement. Well, I just joined him, Matt, not uncle Bob, and I think this is a better way to impart some real values and humor into the horror if these games than to prohibit them all together.


I can just see Matt being a 30 year old man, sitting somewhere controlling similar virtual realities with his hands and mind. That thought makes me feel glad that he now knows how to run around a virtual mall and make pitchfork shot gun.


3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you've been given the gift of seeing the value in something that your contemporaries either fear or misunderstand. I'm not a gamer but understand how gaming and the culture of gaming relates so strongly with so many kids, young adults and gamers. It's another arena where we can tap into the interests and energies of others, like music, movies and great books. It's too bad that so many misunderstand the hold that gaming has on some and where it can be a valuable means of self-expression, learning and just getting in the habit of figuring things out, like, Life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there is so much energy and talent being tapped in these games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello:

    I just wanted to comment that I appreciate you both very much. Remember, Matt sees tools and means to an end where we see zombies.

    I'm grateful to you for showing me this, Joe and I am grateful for your open minds :)

    ReplyDelete